#620 — January 6, 2023
Read on the Web
Peter Cooper and the Cooperpress team
Michael Rambeau et al.
Evan You Looks at 2022 and 2023 — You’ll know Evan for Vue.js and Vite and here he recaps what happened in the Vue world in 2022 (like Vue 3.x becoming the new default version) and what we can expect in 2023, including the mysteriously named Vapor Mode.. We’re also warned Vue 2.x has one year before it reaches EOL.
🧈 Retire your Legacy CMS with ButterCMS — ButterCMS is your new content backend. We’re SaaS so we host, maintain, and scale the CMS. Enable your marketing team to update website + app content without needing you. Try the #1 rated SaaS Headless CMS for your JS app today. Free for 30 days.
🧈 ButterCMS sponsor
LOOKING BACK AND FORWARD:
Michael Shilman writes about the future for Storybook in 2023.
Ryan Carniato ponders where JS frameworks are headed in 2023.
Some other 2022 roundups and reflections: Cassidy Williams, Igalia Web Platform Team, Dave Rupert, Stéphanie Walter, Pawel Grzybek, Stephanie Eckles, Michelle Barker, Rachel Andrew, Remy Sharp, Ahmad Shadeed, the HTTP protocol 😆
Spacetime 7.4 – Lightweight timezone library.
Lerna 6.4 – JS monorepo build tool.
TestCafe 2.2 – End-to-end Web testing.
Vuetify 3.1 – Vue component framework.
📒 Top Articles & Tutorials of 2022
2. Ecma International Approved ECMAScript 2022 — The second most popular item of the year was a bit more positive, with Ecma making ECMAScript 2022 a standard. Dr. Axel brought us up to speed with what this meant at a practical level. You’ll already be using some of these features – this move just tied up the formalities.
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
Whiskey Web and Whatnot sponsorpodcast
4. AbortController is Your Friend — AbortController provides a way to abort web requests at any point without waiting for a response but it’s possible to twist it into other use cases, as we saw here.
Ryan J. Peterson
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
7. Patterns.dev: Modern Web App Design Patterns — A free book you can download in PDF format or enjoy on the Web. Learn about lots of fundamentals, from how different styles of rendering or importing resources work to performance optimizations and case studies.
Lydia Hallie, Addy Osmani, and Others
8. Decorators for ES6 Proposal Reached Stage 3 at TC39 — It’s a few years in the making, but a decorators proposal conditionally made it to stage 3 and people were very excited. Fingers crossed we see more from this in 2023.
🛠 Top Code & Tools of 2022
Dynaboard: The Pro-Code Web App Builder Made for Developers — Build high performance public and private web apps in a collaborative — code forward — WYSIWYG environment.
3. Vite 4.0 Released — This was only a month ago, too. From the same creator as Vue.js, Vite is an exciting piece of frontend tooling offering lots of goodies out of the box. We look forward to more Vite news in 2023.
Evan You and Vite Contributors
4. Lexical: An Extensible Text Editor Library — Out of Meta came a new text editor framework putting accessibility, performance, and reliability at its heart. At only 22KB gzipped and with React 18+ support (but vanilla is also OK), it reminded us of Draft.js but they say it’s the “next generation” and Meta is already replacing Draft.js with Lexical in their internal apps.
Meta / Facebook
6. JSON Crack: Visualize JSON Data in Graph Form — Got JSON, want to view it? This is a neat tool for working with and displaying JSON data structures. You can play with it online, embed the graphs into your site, or download them for further use.
Stuck on Node 10? Need to Upgrade but Don’t Have Time? Contact Us 🚀
Blankensmith and Whidden
8. Axios 1.0: The Popular HTTP Client Library/API — With 98k GitHub stars and a presence in numerous thousands of package.json files, Axios remains very popular and it’s amazing it only hit 1.0 in 2022. The Fetch API has taken much of Axios’ thunder but, like jQuery, Axios still wraps up a lot of functionality into a broadly liked API. (Official homepage.)
Developer Relations Manager — Join the CKEditor team to build community around an Open Source project used by millions of users around the world 🚀
Backend Engineer, TypeScript (Berlin / Remote) — Thousands of people love our product (see Trustpilot for yourself). Join the team behind it and help us scale. 🚀
We’re back to normal service as of next week! If you’ve got anything you’d like to submit for our consideration, hit reply and let us know.